We’re looking for a Software Engineer and an Associate Product Manager to join our technical team in San Francisco. Working at Thorn gives you the opportunity to apply your skills, expertise and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. On our team you will explore how to use technology to reach out to victims, deter offenders and create safer platforms for children. Our staff tackles dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGO’s and law enforcement agencies. If you are able to bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy problems, you might be a great fit for our team.
Software Engineer: Thorn Innovation Lab
Thorn is hiring software engineers for its innovation lab to create technology to fight child sexual exploitation. The lab’s areas of focus include human trafficking, darkweb child abuse/exploitation content, and social platform safety.
You will initially work on Solis, our dark web investigation tool. Solis analyzes activity on the dark web to help investigators around the world find and rescue children that are being abused. You will have the opportunity to contribute both to our front-end web application and to our Python-based backend.
Besides contributing to Solis, you will participate in broad exploration and work on a variety of projects to fight child abuse and trafficking. These projects span engineering and data science topics from security to artificial intelligence — including adaptive crawling, statistical analysis, search, machine learning (NLP, computer vision, sentiment analysis), data pipeline development, and UX design.
- One to five years of professional software development experience
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies
- Experience with rapidly prototyping applications
- Experience implementing, testing, and deploying code to production
- Ability to collaboratively solve problems with internal and external stakeholders
- Proficient oral and written communications skills
Associate Product Manager
We are seeking a highly motivated Associate Product Manager to work on the definition and ongoing management of our Spotlight application in all stages of the product lifecycle. In this role, you will keep your finger on the pulse of human trafficking trends, application usage, identify gaps, and support product development to address those gaps. You will leverage research and analytics to determine unmet needs, new opportunities for improvement and innovation. You will be on the front lines with our users and be actively engaged with the Law Enforcement community to ensure the application is utilized to it’s fullest extent possible. You are adept at outbound product management, such as, writing release communication, developing training materials and writing product collateral.
Without doubt, you’re a creative, open-ended thinker capable of solving complex business and technical needs. You’re passionate about driving technical innovation to fight child exploitation and can rock the mic at conferences and user groups.
As we grow our portfolio of product offerings you’ll have the opportunity to manage and support other Thorn products.
- Expert, in-depth knowledge of our products and how our customers use them in the fight against child exploitation
- First point of contact for end users when they encounter an issue. Ability to troubleshoot, resolve and respond to customer inquiries in a timely and meaningful way.
- Conduct deep-dive analysis of bugs, usage data, and enhancement requests to derive themes, identify unmet customer needs, issues and patterns.
- Present data driven findings in a clear and thoughtful manner.
- Ability to tailor communication to audience.
- Develop user stories, use cases, wireframes and process/workflows taking into account dependencies on other stories and/or projects & initiatives.
- Participate in cross-functional teams during the entire lifecycle of product development, including deployment and post-deployment activities.
- Develop communication strategy and training collateral as appropriate with product releases.
- Conduct end user training sessions in person or virtually.
- Support Product Management in ‘go to market’ activities for new product releases.
- Bachelor’s Degree with at least four years of experience as a product/business analyst or similar experience.
- Solid technical knowledge, aptitude, and ability to effectively communicate with engineering.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills.
- A passion for creative and elegant solutions coupled with a strong attention to detail.
- Highly self-directed and motivated.
- Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills: a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent public speaking skills.
- Well-organized. Ability to balance multiple projects and prioritize time.
- Flexibility to travel up to 20%
- Team player. Willing to do what is needed to help the team succeed and grow.
- Passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.